We bought some organic potatoes and 2 leeks from the supermarket the other day, and it was a chilly enough for something warm, so I decided on a dinner of potato and leek soup. It tasted pretty luxurious once topped with a slice of bread and cheese, and toasted under the grill. Filling and satisfying, potato and leek soup is a frugal classic that never fails to impress!
Potato & Leek Soup
- 1 medium saucepan – fill 2/3 with potatoes, roughly cubed; cover with water; boil until softened.
- Tip out 1/2 the water, and replace with approx 1 litre milk.
- In a separate pan, saute finely sliced leeks in some butter until translucent. When ready add to potatoes.
- Add 2 stock cubes.
- Use a potato masher to break up the potatoes.
- Cook and mash until soup is thickened – by this time the potatoes have broken up enough to no longer be lumpy.
- Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- Ladel into bowls. Top with a peice of crusty bread, sprinkled with a generous amount of grated cheese and a crackling of pepper.
- Toast under grill.
- Serve and enjoy!