Tuna mornay is a great midweek meal idea. It’s quick to make. It takes a minimum of ingredients – most from the pantry. It can be served with a variety of side dishes, or none at all. And it’s great for dinner the next day, or lunches over a couple of days. It has nice simple flavours that are wholesome and creamy. It’s a nice way to spend a cool autumn evening, curled up on the couch with a bowl of tuna mornay fresh from the oven. Here’s the ingredients & method we used …
425g tin of Tuna drained
2 small onions roughly chopped
1 large carrot roughly chopped
2 stalks celery roughly chopped
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/3 cup plain flour
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon chicken stock powder
freshly ground black pepper
salt to season
1 tablespoon mustard – American or French
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated cheddar
1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
500g cooked pasta – such as Elbows, Rigatoni or Macaroni
- Cook your pasta following the directions on the packet (that’s for you gizo).
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Heat butter in a pan and saute vegetables with bay leaf and thyme for about 5-7 minutes over medium heat until slightly softened – avoid browning.
- Add the flour and mix through the vegetables well and cook the flour for a couple of minutes to remove the raw cereal flavour.
- Add the cold milk a little at a time and incorporate well avoiding lumps.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix through the tuna meat, the mustard the fish sauce, the stock powder and the pepper.
- Adjust the seasoning by adding additional salt if required.
- Mix through most of the parmesan cheese – hold back a little to sprinkle on top of the bake.
- Grease a suitably sized oven dish.
- Mix the tuna sauce togther with the cooked pasta in a large mixing bowl and then place it into the oven dish and push down until it is level.
- Cover the top with grated cheddar, breadcrumbs and some grated parmesan. Sprinkling a little dried paprika on the top will aid with the browning process.
- Place dish into the oven and cook for about 30-40 minutes until the top is well browned and crusty.
- Serve and enjoy!