If you love cheese, this is for you. Completely, utterly, creamy, delicious wonderful blue-cheesy goodness. Yum!
1 x 500g pack rigatoni pasta
1/2 – 3/4 litre milk
3 tablespoons plain flour
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
80g blue cheese (we just used some by Mainland (looks a bit like this) from their ‘Special Reserve’ cheeses. I guess it could be described as a creamy medium-sharp blue.)
2 tablespoons parmesan
2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
generous grinding black pepper
- Cook pasta according to instructions on packet. I added a pinch of salt to the water – just a habit to keep the pasta from sticking together.
- For the sauce – Add butter, oil and flour to a saucepan and cook on medium heat until its light brown and generating a slightly nutty aroma. Stir briskly.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly to break up lumps. When all milk is added, keep stirring while milk starts to simmer and mixture begins to thicken.
- Add the cheeses and stir in well until dissolved. Turn heat to low.
- Add stock powder & pepper.
- Have a taste and adjust flavour with a pinch of salt if needed.
- Add a bit more milk if mix is too thick.
- Drain your cooked pasta, then add to the sauce. Mix in well but gently.
Serve with a grating of something – we used a bit of Edam we had in the fridge, but cheddar would do just fine. A sprig of parsley to garnish would also be a nice touch if you have some on hand!