I love lasagna and find it one of those truly addictive foods, and for this reason I seldom make it. I’ve actually had a packet of lasagna sheets sitting in the pantry for months, and the other day I bought another packet on special. So I thought it was a good excuse to make lasagna! Usually I make up the recipe as I go, but this time I followed the recipe on the packet. It’s called ‘Nonna’s Lasagna Bolognese’, from the Rinoldi 10 sheet (250g) pack. It was delicious! Here’s the recipe, with a few tweaks that I made to suit the ingredients I had on hand.
2 tablespoons olive oil
350g minced lamb (recipe asked for 500g beef; had none)
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves onion, finely diced
2 x 400g tins diced roma tomatoes
100g tomato paste
1 large tin of mushrooms in butter sauce (recipe asked for 100g mushrooms, chopped; had none)
4 teaspoons dried oregano (recipe asked for 2, but 4 tasted better)
1 teaspoon basil (had none; used dried basil mint instead)
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (recipe asked for 1/2 teaspoon dried; didn’t have any!)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder (my addition)
1 teaspoon sugar (my addition)
generous grinding of black pepper
1/3 cup plain flour
3-4 cups milk
2/3 cup dried parmesan (recipe asked for 1 cup shredded cheddar; had none)
1/4 cup blue vein cheese (recipe asked for 1/4 cup shredded parmesan; had none)
salt & pepper to taste
1x 250g packet Rinoldi lasagna sheets (any brand would do)
extra dried parmesan to garnish (shredded cheddar also good)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion and fry for a minute or two.
- Add the meat and tomato paste and fry for a few minutes, until meat is cooked. Stir well to break up any lumps.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil.
- Cover and gently simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the flour until smooth, then cook gently for a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add milk gradually, constantly stirring to remove any lumps. I used a whisk at this point to get the mixture smooth.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until it gets smooth and thickens.
- Lower the heat and add the remaining ingredients, stirring well until cheeses are melted.
- Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Turn off heat and cover.
- Arrange 3 lasagna sheets over the base of a baking dish approx. 23cm x 33cm x 6cm.
- Carefully spoon some of the bolognese sauce over the sheets, spreading as evenly as possible to the edges of the dish.
- Top with some spoonfuls of white sauce.
- Repeat these 3 layers twice.
- Top with remaining pasta sheets, meat sauce & cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and/or a grating of cheddar.
- Bake in a preheated oven at approx 180C for 50 minutes, or until pasta is cooked & top is golden. Cover with foil if top is browing too quickly.
- Stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- I served this garnished with a salad of mixed lettuce leaves, diced tomato and cucumber, and a light drizzling of ranch dressing.