Today we went op-shopping and picked up this wooden dining table for AU$10 – a total steal! While there we spotted the retro tablecloth and placemats (which I’ve since washed) which cost us a mere $1.60 all up.
Feeling rather happy with our bargains, we decided to treat ourselves to nachos for dinner!
650g coarsley minced chuck steak or gravy beef
3 onions, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
oil for frying
2 teaspoons coarsely ground cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon marjoram
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
425g tin diced tomatoes
1 beef stock cube
1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt
very generous grinding of black pepper
corn chips to serve
- In a hot pan, heat the oil. Add the cumin seeds and cook for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the onions, garlic and bay leaves, and sprinkle in the marjoram and oregano. Saute over the heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the mince and smoked paprika and brown for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the stock cube and the salt and mix through well.
- Add the tomato paste and mix in well. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the water and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened.
- Add the pepper. Remove the bay leaves and serve!
We enjoyed ours on a bed of some cheese flavoured corn chips. As you can see, though, things weren’t cheesy enough so we also topped it off with some grated tasty cheese 😛
A great recipe if you want a fast and extremely tasty meal! Enjoy!