This dish is a Christmas-time favourite in my family. The creamy curry mayonnaise completely envelops the scrumptiously hard-boiled eggs and crunchy iceberg lettuce. It’s a creamy eggy lettucey delight. You would think that the mayonnaise and sour cream content would make the dish overbearingly creamy and rich, but in fact it’s incredibly delicious and moreish. Here is the recipe I used…
5 large eggs
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
curry powder to taste
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 teaspoon lemon juice
a sprinkling of dried dill to garnish
a cup or two of roughly chopped iceberg lettuce
- Prick a small hole in one end of each egg.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with hot water.
- Bring to the boil and keep on a rapid boil for 8 minutes.
- Take off the heat and drain hot water from eggs.
- Fill saucepan containing eggs with cold water.
- Shell eggs, rinsing off any residual bits of shell.
- Keep eggs in a bowl of cold water until cooled.
- Meanwhile put all remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Roughly chop your lettuce and spread out over a serving dish.
- Slice your boiled eggs in half and line up atop the lettuce, flat side down.
- Spoon mayo mix over until the eggs and lettuce are completely covered.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. The flavours do develop when left longer, however, so overnight refrigeration is recommended.
- Garnish with a light sprinkling of dried dill just before serving.