Served with juicy tomato slices, crisp cucumber slices, and a spoonful of cottage cheese, this three cheese potato bake was a winner. It wasn’t quite as rich as I expected it to be, considering the heavy cheese content, and made a fantastic, hassle-free lunch. It’s best to use a really good quality potato in this dish so that you get that yummy earthy potato flavour.
We used some Royal Blues:
The recipe went like this…
1 – 1.5kg potatoes
1 large onion, sliced
3 tablespoons sour cream
1.5 teaspoons salt
generous grinding of fresh black pepper
50g blue cheese, crumbled
5 heaped tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons cornflour, dissolved in 4 tablespoons cold water
a generous grating of cheddar to top
- Slice potatoes and onions and layer in a porcelain baking dish.
- Sprinkle salt and grind pepper across top.
- Dollop sour cream across top.
- Crumble blue cheese across top.
- Sprinkle Parmesan across top.
- Pour cornflour mixture across top, followed by enough milk to fill the dish 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Grate cheddar across top until covered.
- Sprinkle a little smoked paprika across the top for colour, flavour and aroma.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake in the middle of the oven (160C to 180C) until potatoes are softened – press a fork in to the middle, and have a taste test! Ours took around 50 mins to 1 hour.
- When they are ready, remove from the oven and put under the grill until golden.
Serve and enjoy!