The sun has come out again, and this morning I felt like doing a spot of baking. Here is a simple recipe for rich chocolate and spice muffins. Served with a generous garnish of fresh lavender flowers and leaves, these small cakes are great served with a cup of coffee for morning tea! Enjoy!
100g melted butter
125g cocoa powder
100g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
around 150ml milk
1 teaspoon mixed spice
50ml golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tray.
- Cream eggs and sugar in a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well with a whisk until smooth.
- You’re looking for a thick but pourable batter, so add as much or as little milk as you feel is necessary to achieve the right consistency.
- Using a spoon, evenly distribute the batter between the holes of the muffin tray.
- Bake at 150C for 10-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before gently lifting the muffins out of the tray and putting them on a rack to cool further.
- When ready, ice with a mixture of icing sugar, cocoa and water. We garnished ours with a few sprigs of English lavender and a sultana, then decorated the plate with French lavender flowers and leaves.