There’s nothing better on a lazy, Sunday morning in spring than a brunch of Croque Madame, served on a bed of freshly picked greens tossed in a light balsamic dressing. We would have included pictures of the dish as it was served, but it was eaten too quickly. So, above is a picture of the leftover piece we had.. and below is how quickly it, too, was gobbled up. The recipe follows… (serves 4)
8 slices of good country-style bread (we used some of our sourdough, though a Vienna loaf would be good, too)
2 to 2 & 1/2 cups grated cheddar
salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Butter the bread on all sides.
- Put four slices on an oven tray. Top each slice with grated cheese, then top with the remaining four slices of bread.
- Place in the oven for a few minutes, or until they are well browned.
- Meanwhile, melt some butter in a frying pan and cook the eggs just enough to hold their shape.
- Remove sandwiches from oven. Place an egg on top of each and top with more cheese and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Place under a grill and cook until well browned.
Serve on a bed of greens (we used baby green mignonette) topped with balsamic vinaigrette.