Fruit base filling
6 red apples – peeled, cored and sliced
1 & 1/2 cups poached quince (see recipe here)
1/3 cup sultanas
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3-4 tablespoons quince jelly (see recipe here)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Crumble top mix
2 cups fresh bread crumbs (we made some using a few leftover scones, chopped up in a food processor)
1/3 cup sugar (we used raw sugar)
40 – 50g butter
- Combine all of the fruit base filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Place mixture in to a greased baking dish.
- Combine all of the crumble top mix in a bowl, rubbing the butter in to the dry ingredients and mixing well.
- Place the crumble mixture on top of the fruit. Pack it down, covering the fruit well.
- Bake in a preheated 160C oven for about 45 minutes or until top is golden and cracked-looking.
Serve with a generous scoop of vanilla ice-cream.