Tonight we made delicious oriental chicken pieces for dinner, with a side of stir-fried vegetables and steamed long-grain rice. They are cheap, delicious, and very easy to make. Did we mention that they were delicious?
1 to 1&1/2 kg chicken pieces (wings, thighs, drumsticks… any mixture of these will do)
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tablespoons chinese rice wine OR dry sherry
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, preferably with your hands.
- You could cook immediately, but if possible leave to marinate overnight for a more developed flavour.
- Before cooking, preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place chicken peices on an oven tray.
- Place tray in oven, reducing temperature to 180°C.
- Brush the chicken occasionally using the remaining marinade throughout the cooking period.
- The chicken will be cooked after around 40-50 minutes.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice and juices from the tray.Enjoy!